My research interests are in Systems Security and Operating Systems. Currently, I am working on collecting control-flow traces of user-space programs using Intel® Processor Trace. My goal is to explore new metrics and techniques for system monitoring in order to defend against zero days.
- PhD Student in Computer Science (exp.) May 2022
at The Pennsylvania State University, PA, USA.
GPA = 3.85 (of 4)
- B.Tech. in Information and Communication Technology 2014
from Dhirubhai Ambani Institute, Gujarat, India.
GPA = 9.52 (of 10) in major; 8.55 overall
- Automatic Generation of Compact Printable Shellcodes for x86
Dhrumil Patel, Aditya Basu, Anish Mathuria. In 14th USENIX Workshop on Offensive Technologies (WOOT).
[ link | ppt | code | acceptance rate = 33.33%, or 12/36 ]
- Hardware Assisted Buffer Protection Mechanisms for Embedded RISC-V
Asmit De, Aditya Basu, Swaroop Ghosh, Trent Jaeger. In IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems.
[ doi | impact factor = 2.168 ]
- FIXER: Flow Integrity Extensions in Embedded RISC-V
Asmit De, Aditya Basu, Swaroop Ghosh and Trent Jaeger. In Proceedings of Design, Automation and Test in Europe (DATE).
[ doi | acceptance rate = 24% ]
- Automatic Generation of Compact Alphanumeric Shellcodes for x86
Aditya Basu, Anish Mathuria, Nagendra Chowdary. In Proceedings of 10th International Conference on Information Systems Security (ICISS).
[ doi | ppt | code | acceptance rate = 19%, or 25/129 ]
- Software Engineering Intern at Google, Cambridge (USA) Summer 2019
- Added support for Intel VT-d to the Akaros kernel from UC Berkeley.
- This allows any PCI/PCIe device to be placed in the address space of a process or a VM.
- Also wrote a driver for Intel CBDMA (DMA accelerator on Intel, a.k.a IOAT). The driver was used to test the VT-d support.
[ my commits | language: C ]
- Research Intern at NIO, San Jose Summer 2018
- Worked on securing and pen-testing the ES8’s (SUV) firmware and OBD-II diagnostics port.
- Additionally, I wrote a driver for an on-board network switch and created patches to fix the discovered vulnerabilities.
[ languages: C, Python ]
- System Operations Engineer at Media.net, Mumbai 2014-16
- Automated and managed their web crawling infrastructure that served >100 million requests/day.
- Helped with campus recruiting efforts.
- For new employees, I took training sessions on Advanced Linux and Networking.
[ tools: Bash, Puppet, Ansible, AWS automation | languages: C, Python, Java ]
- Software Developer Intern at Dhirubhai Ambani Institute, Ahmedabad Summer '13 & '14
- Single-handedly created the admission portal for the university.
- The portal is capable of generating merit-lists and wait-lists of candidates based on their stream preferences and test scores.
- The portal also handles all emails communications, and provides a unified web interface for both the candidates & the admissions team.
- >10k SLOC
- C • Python • bash • LaTeX (macros) • HTML
- 5k — 10k SLOC
- Django • Puppet • Ansible • Java • CSS
- make • git • Docker • strace • gdb
- Linux • Mac OS X • Markdown